Saturday, July 7, 2012

OOC

This is my first post OOC. I wanted to muse a little on RP and me.

I only started RP after coming to KOTMC around a year ago. I had never really been around eve rp and had never done any explicit RP in a video game. Suffice to say, I was distraught to realize I had missed the golden age of eve RP.

I spent my first few months laying out backstory and getting a feel for Ryven as a person. I wanted to play a person who seemed real to me. I find that it is tempting to go pure good or evil with a character, but, in Ryven's case, I felt it was much more interesting to play someone grey. I gave him a history of violence and a newfound desire to be good. I wanted him to struggle with his violent nature. I wanted him to also deal with being out of place. Hence, a caldari orphan raised by a gallente and plunged into a life as a merc and then pirate/hegemony seeking null guy.

His conversion to the Amarr faith and continued fight for the Empire solidified his uneasy position.

I guess, if I am trying to say anything at all, that Ry is my attempt to flesh out a real human being and his struggles with the overwhelming power of being a capsuleer and still having basic human struggles and reflecting on a past full of things he isn't proud of.

2 comments:

  1. What do you consider the 'Golden Age of EVE RP', and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in my talks with the RP-ers I can actually find, there is a loose consensus that RP began to dwindle in volume, frequency, and intensity around 2010-11.

    Having encountered record of some rather epic RP from 2009-2010, this seems to be the case. Even in 2011, when I started RP-ing, you could hop into any number of RP channels and find 5or more players active. Nowadays, not so much.

    So, I would say, at least as far as I know, pre-2011.

    ReplyDelete