Monday, February 28, 2011

History

      Titus began the story of Ryven's father, which is here somewhat abridged in order to be more concise, and to remove any unnecessary pauses that occurred in the actual discussion between Ryven and Titus, which, though possibly interesting in a sentimental way, are of little relevance in the larger scheme of things.
      "Kalus Haijikioten was always the more hot-tempered of us two brothers.  We were consummate Civire children.  There was never a task we couldn't rise up to meet, and to be honest, we were very close for the majority of our lives, until he met Seelah, which I will get to in a little bit.  I was the younger brother, but, I had a better head for business, and I convinced him to join me in starting a mercenary corporation, which we named Haijikioten Security Group (HSG).  We started with two frigates full of what can only be called semi-reformed pirates, and a lot of violent tendencies.  Over a period of about ten years, our fleet expanded to nearly fifteen ships, from frigates of different variations on up to the flagship, the Tovil-Toba,my Rokh-class battleship currently docked in this station.  Kalus was always discontent, and hating my business acumen, ran off to form his own group, appropriately named Firebrand Security Corp.  We didn't really compete for contracts since I had all of our old connections still, and he took contracts from the most unscrupulous of individuals.  Our paths crossed in the case of your mother, Seelah.  Kalus and I were both hired separately in the matter of a Guristas pilot named Ynnas Makalen.  She had betrayed certain influential members to the Caldari authorities in Lonetrek, and naturally, the Guristas were pissed.  Who can blame them?  If any of my crew betrayed me, I'd come back from the fucking dead and piss on their ashes when I was through roasting them over a cool fire.  That's not the point.  Kalus was hired by the Guristas to board her ship, and take her prisoner, to most likely be executed at a later date, probably unpleasantly.  I was hired by Ynnas to help her fake her demise, so she could start over fresh, free of the Guristas and all the likely fatal baggage that they entailed.  I won't bore you with all the logistics of this, but, as such things happen, I arrived first and began the extremely real attack on her Moa class cruiser, Fugue. She meanwhile escaped in a small escape pod before her ship was utterly destroyed.  Kalus arrived in a Caracal class cruiser right as her ship exploded.  I did not recognize the ship as his, and he quickly engaged me, despite my ship being a larger Ferox-class battlecruiser, Lyssa.  The battle was over quickly, and thankfully he survived.  I took him prisoner, and quickly recognized him.  I did not tell him of the survival of Ynnas, who already had taken on her new persona of Seelah Rekkollo.  The few days of laying low in a pocket of deadspace sowed the seeds of the end of amicability between me and my brother.  Seelah paid me generously, but, not just in ISK.  She spent those nights in my cabin, but, little did I know, she spent the days with Kalus.  The jealousy and sense of betrayal from this love triangle ended our communication.  I never saw Kalus again.  He left my ship with Seelah and only around three years later, he was dead, with Seelah, and you were left here.  The story of Kalus's death, however, is one it took me quite some time to unravel."
       "Kalus's last contract was from a Jin-Mei member of a mining corporation that operated in Sinq Laison, but traded in the markets of Caldari space.  A group of Caldari miners were operating independently in the Ibura system, where they had found an asteroid belt of immense wealth in a hidden pocket of deadspace.  The Jin-Mei, a rotund asshole named Jai Kindo, wanted this independent mining group to fail.  So, he paid Kalus a modest sum to make it happen.  Kalus did not know the head miner was endorsed secretly by the Kalaakiota Corporation.  Caldari business is a labyrinth of these sorts of connections, but, generally, if a megacorp isn't paying you to do so, you don't attack Caldari properties.  Kalus never really understood that rule.  So, in his usual way, he attacked the colony brazenly, and CONCORD responded in their usual fashion.  Your father was not a capsuleer, and as such, was killed nearly instantaneously when his ship was destroyed, along with your mother.  The state convicted Kalus of war crimes, even though he was already deceased, thanks to CONCORD, and your future was immediately imperiled.  I was present in the court when your father was sentenced, and immediately called in some favors.  The Sisters agreed to take you in, largely because I had helped them in the past as security for a convoy of refugees.  The State agreed largely because I have done numerous contract jobs for them in the past as well.  I have been kept informed of your welfare here since you first arrived.  I specifically requested that your parentage not be revealed to you until you were already old enough to not let it effect your choices in life.  I was thrilled when Baillieu Crennelle, the man who gave me the information necessary to hunt down and kill Jai Kindo, took you under his wing.  He was a good friend, and a constant broker of information useful to me.  I, too, wept when he passed.  And now I am here to offer you a choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment