Friday, July 5, 2013

Meeting, Continued

Ryven looked at the mysterious man, amused. "You realize that was extremely cheesy, right?  You do realize that.  You have to."

The man sat silently for a moment before speaking. "Okay, perhaps that is cliche, but it is also sincere.  What is good for the State is good for the cluster and vice versa."

Ryven frowned. "Not necessarily.  If the State posed a real threat to the entire cluster, then, I would argue that what is good for the State is most certainly not good for the cluster.  Even moreso, I am not terribly interested in what is good for the State, seeing as the State has made a habit of trying to have me killed, jailed, and a host of other unpleasantries."

The man nodded. "Okay, I'll give you that one.  However, the offer still stands, and you can retain the right to refuse an assignment if it conflicts with your newfound loyalties to the Empire, which we can blame Dr. Tobit for, I presume."

Ryven shrugged. "I can't say, honestly.  This is who I am now.  There's no sense in dredging up all of the reasons.  I like this version of me.  Who I was before is of little importance except as a reminder of why I don't want to go back to that life."

The man nodded again. "Fair enough."  He stood up and stretched, stifling a yawn. "So, what's it gonna be, Mr. Krennel?"

Ryven thought for a moment before answering. "Okay.  Inasmuch as it doesn't conflict with my loyalties to the Empire and the militia."

The man nodded. "Agreed."  He started to walk toward the door out into the hallway.

"Wait." Ryven spoke. "What do I call you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you're clearly not going to give me your real name, but I'd like to at least have a name I can call you.  Makes these conversations more, well, friendly."

The man stood there, lost in memories of a different life and a different time.  He finally spoke. "It's Kaden."

No comments:

Post a Comment