Monday, January 7, 2013

Retribution, Part VIII: Awakening

Unisclosed Location

Zhou Liang's safehouse

09:45 1-8 YC115

Ryven awoke drenched in sweat and blood.  His eyes slowly gained focus and his mind fumbled, struggling to discern where he was.  A face appeared in his field of vision, at first a gray blur.  The face slowly coalesced, gaining more and more detail until he recognized Zhou Liang.  He could tell Zhou was speaking, but his mind was still addled.  The words came as through a murk, each taking what seemed hours for him to decipher.  Then, suddenly, they were coming at him at normal speed.  He shook his head, clearing the remaining cobwebs.  He raised himself up on his elbows and realized he was shirtless, his wounds dressed, but the surrounding skin was bruised and discoloured.  The pain of his movement forced him to wince and suck in a shallow breath between clenched teeth.

Zhou's voice was that of a concerned parent. "You have to take it slow, Ryven.  The damage to this clone was quite severe.  If you'd taken another hit like these..."  He gestured to the massive bandaged region of Ryven's abdomen.

Ryven grunted. "I've taken worse."

"Respectfully, no, sir, you're full of shit." He pointed emphatically to the bandage.  "There was nothing there.  That was just one big missing chunk of you, filled with biofoam.  That's all there was, Ryven.  Just foam."

Ryven searched for his cigarettes.  He glared at Zhou. "Where'd my cigarettes go?"

Zhou pulled a pack out of his shirt pocket and handed it to Ryven. "Here.  Knock yourself out."  He stood up and walked a few paces away, staring at the wall, arms crossed.  He worried about this stubborn man to whom he owed his life.

Ryven lit up a cigarette, the burning smoke agitating his lungs, and he coughed fiercely.  Still, it was just what the doctor ordered.  He looked over to Zhou, wondering what had gotten into him.  "Hey, Zhou?  How soon can I get out of here?  I got a girl to go see." 

Zhou turned around, stroking his chin in thought. "I would say two or three days." 

Ryven laughed. "That's not going to happen."  He sat up and began putting on his boots.

Zhou looked exasperated. "You're an idiot, you know that, right?  You're in no condition to fly."

Ryven gave him an amused look. "I'll be fine." 

Zhou stared at him in angered disbelief before he turned around and walked out, shaking his head.  "One of these days, you're going to find yourself in a situation you can't fight your way out of or bullshit your way through.  I hope I'm wrong, but, I'm fairly certain I'm not." 

Ryven nodded, alone again in the dark. He whispered to no one. "I know.  But, I made a promise that I'd come home.  I've lost enough time."

No comments:

Post a Comment